My Go-To Look
A white shirt and denim. In my opinion, these are two clothing items every woman should have in their closet. Sure, a white shirt or button down is something we often visualize men wearing, but there is something sexy about the simplicity of this classic look on a woman. With a few tweaks or tucks or a pretty scarf, fun earrings or statement shoes this look can look effortless and casual to extremely chic.
What I love most about pairing these two clothing items together is that you can wear it to a picnic on a summer day or you can make the same look work for a night out on the town or even church. On a summer day you will frequently see me in my favorite pair of light denim shorts with a sleeveless white button-up shirt tied in the front with some cute sandals. However, you will also see me in the fall wearing a more classic long sleeve white button-up with dark denim or black jeans and riding boots with a nice scarf or blazer to Saturday evening Mass.
Let’s get down to the basics. The great thing about this look is that you can find these pieces anywhere... from Target to Nordstrom. This goes for both a white shirt and denim, you can spend $25 on these items or upwards of $250. I am here to give you some of my favorite pieces to help you achieve this classic look of a white shirt and denim.
The White Shirt
I love Banana Republic because their price point is pretty reasonable. They almost always have a sale going on and if not, their sale selection is always pretty stocked. Here are some of my favorite white shirts from Banana Republic. I wear a 2 in Banana Republic shirts. However, sometimes in shirts with sleeves that have tight shoulders I wear a 4. Oh! Right now Banana has a big sale going on...
From left to right.
1. Riley Tailored-Fit Super-Stretch Shirt- $68. I wear a 4. Classic shirt. This is a fitted shirt made in a super-stretch cotton poplin with some stretch that flatters your waist for a tailored look and comfortable fit. It works tucked or un-tucked. Point collar. Clean front. Buttoned cuffs. https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1107722&pcid=1107721&vid=1&pid=875959002
2. Riley-Fit Sleeveless Super-Stretch Shirt- $58. I wear a 2. This shirt is just your classic white button-up shirt only sleeveless. Hits at the hip. Point collar. Clean clean front. https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=1&pid=328442002&searchText=white+sleeveless
3. Petite Riley Tailored-Fit Scallop-Front Sleeveless Shirt- $68. I wear a 2. I love the feminine, scalloped detail on this shirt. It gives a fun look to a classic piece. This is a fitted shirt made in a super-stretch cotton poplin with some stretch that flatters your waist for a tailored look and comfortable fit. It works tucked or un-tucked. Hits at the hip. Point collar. Scalloped bib front. Sleeveless. https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=3&pid=280585002&searchText=white+sleeveless
4. Petite Riley Tailored-Fit Ruffle-Front Sleeveless Shirt- was $58 and is now on sale for $45.99. I wear a 2. This is also a fitted shirt made in a super-stretch cotton poplin with some stretch that flatters your waist for a tailored look and comfortable fit. It works tucked or un-tucked. Point collar. Ruffled bib front. Sleeveless. https://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/product.do?vid=3&pid=326727012&searchText=white+sleeveless
Here are three other of my favorite white shirts. They are a higher price point than the four listed above, but they were worth the investment and I have gotten my money's worth considering how much I wear them.
1. This Acrobat shirt is a shirt I picked up from Monelle Newport which is a little boutique with two locations: Newport and Nantucket. I love this shirt because although it is still a white shirt it has a lot of great detail that makes it very difference and nothing short of boring. Its sillouette is very nice. The way it is fitted at the waist accentuates the smallest part of my body and the way it flows from the rest of me makes it nice and cool to wear on a hot, Summer day. Look for shirts like this one when you are shopping in boutiques!
2. This is the Essential Silk Shirt in bright white by Equipment. I picked this one up from a store called Blond Genius in my hometown. I have been eyeing this shirt for almost a year now and finally caved. I think it is a great layering piece. It will be frequently worn in the Fall and Winter because it is easy and light weight to layer under sweaters and blazers. Current Elliot, Cloth and Stone, Mara Hoffman, Rails, Bella Dahl, Vince and Joie all always carry high end white button-up shirts. You can shop most of these brands on Nordstroms or their respective websites. I shop these brands at our local clothing store in Bloomington, IN called Blond Genius (also has a website).
3. This last shirt is a very old find from Anthropologie. Guys, Anthro ALWAYS has the cutest white tops that have cute detail or silhouettes. I love this one because it ties at the waist, accentuating the smaller part of the body, but it is also a little bit longer (kind of a tunic length). I advise you to keep an eye on Anthroplogie for really cute white tops. It was hard for me to pick just one out of my closet to share with you all in this post.
I am going to keep this part short and sweet. Find a brand that you love. One that fits you well and that you feel good in. You can never go wrong with a great pair of jeans. Don't be afraid to spend a little extra money on your jeans... if you like them, you'll wear them all of the time and they will be worth every penny. It took me years to find jeans that I love and will wear. I love McGuire Denim. I am petite. I have short legs, hips, and a really small waist. McGuire Denim fits me perfectly and I don't have to do alterations on most of their cuts/fits. As far as jean shorts and other brands I love... I love Citizens of Humanity and Mother. Again, you don't have to spend a lot of money on good jeans though. American Eagle and The Gap also have great jeans/denim!
I like to have a variety of denim in my closet as far as cuts and washes. This way you can mix up the look for different occasions. Here are some of my favorite pairs of jeans.
From left to right. Brands and size I wear.
1. Mother: 25-26
2. McGuire Denim: 25-26
3. AGOLDE: 25
4-6. McGuire Denim: 25-26
7. Citizens of Humanity: 24
8. AG: 26